With Spring right around the corner in Gwinnett, it’s crucial to keep your rental home up-to-date with the seasons, and clean & tidy. Your home is recovering from Winter, and it is up to you to make sure everything is in working order, and nothing was damaged by the cold weather. By taking a couple of minutes a day, you can easily prepare your home for the warmer Spring season and do some cleaning while you’re at it! Spring cleaning is something nobody wants to do, but it needs to be done! Keeping a consistent schedule of annual deep cleanings around your rental is beneficial not only to you, but it is also crucial to extending the lifespan of the home. These few spring cleaning guidelines will assist you this season to ensure your rental home stays tidy and fresh all year!
Let’s start inside. Spring is the perfect time to get all your deep cleaning done! Studies show that productivity and effort are heightened after a deep clean! Don’t feel pressured to complete all these tasks in one day; spread them out over time so you do not get overwhelmed! Remember, nothing feels better than seeing progress!
- Dust all surfaces- ledges, electronics, ceiling fans, curtains, etc.
- Check Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors- replace all batteries to ensure functionality.
- Service HVAC unit/ change filter- This one is crucial! Ask your landlord or property owner about the size of your filter and location.
- Deep clean all counters, tables, sinks, and handles with a disinfectant spray (we recommend these!)– be sure to spray down kitchen appliances!
- Check the basement for leaks and mold- contact your landlord immediately if anything is out of order!
- Ensure all batteries are working- remotes, devices, alarms, thermostats, etc.
- Check the attic for leaks/ holes/ animals/ nests- some smaller pests can make their way into small holes /cracks to stay warm during the colder months.
- Deep clean carpets and fabrics- window curtains, couches, chairs, rugs, and any other fabric item that catches dirt, debris and dust!
- Clean all inside windows- try using coffee filters for a clean streak-free shine!
- Check inside windows and doors for drafts- there are many ways to test drafts in your home, check them out here!
Time to move outside! Most of the tasks in this section are geared more towards maintenance, but nonetheless still crucial in the annual upkeep of your home. Winter weather can do some tremendous damage to houses if the climate is severe enough. Luckily, Georgia’s weather does not get too bad to cause serious damage! With that being said, although our exterior Spring cleaning list isn’t as harsh as other states, it is still important to check up on the outside of your home to make sure there is nothing out of order.
- Clean your gutters- get all the leftover leaves and debris out before the heavy rain season starts and clogs your downspouts.
- Check your garden- plant any new bulbs to be ready for warmer weather! (This UGA Vegetable Garden Calendar will tell you exactly when is the best time to plant what!)
- Service your A/C unit- Contact your landlord or homeowner if anything is out of the ordinary!
- Check windows and siding for wood rot- make sure there are no leaks, drafts, or water damage around windowsills and doors.
- Inspect the roof for hail/ wind damage- Georgia does not have this issue too terribly, but it is still safe to check!
- Check spigots and hoses for leaks- uncover them from Winter and ensure water is flowing and there are no blockages.
- (If necessary) check in-ground sprinklers and sprinkler systems- check for leaks and any water dripping where it shouldn’t be.
- Get any trees removed that got damaged from the Winter weather- check with your landlord to see if any trees need to be removed.
Around the House
With all the serious Spring cleaning out of the way, it is time to start on the lesser important aspects of a Spring-ready home! Most of the to-dos on this checklist are easy tasks and deal with the looks and organization of your home.
- Swap out your warm Winter sheets and blankets for lighter Spring quilts- opt for lighter colors and fabrics! (These sheets are cooling and will keep you chill during the hot summer months!)
- Bring out your patio furniture- go shopping for new Spring décor if necessary! (Decor is always on sale here!)
- Clean out closets- bring Spring/Summer clothes in and purge all old unworn Winter clothes.
- Empty fridge and freezer- throw away any old food, sauces, drinks, or any freezer-burned items.
It may seem like a lot of work, but in the long run, it will save you time and money just by making sure everything is in working order after the Winter season!
Although home renters and homeowners have different responsibilities owed to the home, it is still crucial to help each other out by doing routine checkups and Spring cleaning to maximize the life of your home!
If you are looking to purchase a rental property in the Gwinnett area and need some professional management assistance, contact us today and we will be glad to guide you through the process!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.