Georgia heat is brutal, especially in mid-July! No matter where you go, it seems like the heat is inescapable! Unfortunately, many homeowners and renters around the state are experiencing this problem. It’s bad when even your home isn’t a safe space from the heat! In this article, we will present some great ways to stay cool in your Gwinnett County rental home!
- First things first, be sure to keep your thermostat at consistent temperatures! By constantly turning it on, off, up, and down unnecessarily, you stress the system and could potentially cause it to freeze up. Keeping your thermostat around 70° at night and 74° during the day always should keep it running with no issues.
- Keep your blinds and curtains closed! Unless you have shaded window coverings, leaving your blinds open brings in and traps all the summer heat! Try looking into blackout curtains, they do a great job of temperature control in the summer and winter.
Leave Bedroom Doors Closed
- If your living area is feeling toasty, try closing all bedroom doors, along with the registers in each room. By leaving them shut you circulate the air only to spaces that are needed.
- By regularly changing your HVAC filters, you keep your system running efficiently and correctly. Especially in hot weather, the system works harder and if the filter is blocked or dirty, it will not work as well, causing contaminated and hot air to blow out. Regular filter changes help you stay cool and keep your electricity bill down!
Cooling Sheets in Bedroom
- Waking up in the middle of the night sweating is something that no one wants to do! Investing in cooling sheets for your Gwinnett rental will make you sleep soundly in this Georgia heat! Some brands can be pricey, but it is definitely worth it in the long run!
- LED bulbs are beneficial around your home for many reasons! Most importantly, they reduce your electricity use, (which means lower bills!) and emit less heat while being used, which helps you stay cool. If you use lamps around your rental home, consider replacing the bulbs with LED ones to control the heat emission in your home better.
- Even though a dehumidifier will not deliberately cool down your rental home, it will pull all the humidity out of the air. By cutting out the humidity, your rental will be easier to cool down and stay cool.
- If you’re A/C unit is trying its best to stay cool but not cutting it, it may be time to invest in a high-quality fan. By purchasing a heating and cooling fan, you can get uses out of it all year long. Having a portable fan is beneficial because you can transfer it to any room in the house whenever you need it!
Keep Body Temperature Down
- Sometimes there is simply no fix for the heat. No matter what you try to do, your body will not stay cool. In this instance, try a few things to keep your body temperature down. By taking a lukewarm/cold shower, you can regulate your temperature and will feel refreshed after! Drinking ice-cold water can also do wonders for your body. If that doesn’t work, take a trip for some ice cream or a fresh fruit smoothie. By filling your body with colder liquids/foods, you can adjust better to the surrounding heat!
Light Colored Bedding and Accents
- By having lighter-colored bedding in your home, you can reflect some of the sunlight that enters through the windows. Light colors like white, beige, yellow, and light blue can prevent the light from hanging onto the fabric, meaning cooler comfort! Also, consider the fabric that is being used; fabrics like flannel and polyester retain heat, whereas fabrics like cotton and silk are very light and do not hold heat in.
Ice your Fan
- If your fan just isn’t cutting it to help you stay cool, try the ice method! By putting ice cubes, ice packs, popsicles, or anything frozen in front of your fan, you have just created a cooling fan! The air being pushed out is now being cooled by the ice, which leaves you feeling chilled and refreshed!
We hope these ideas are going to help you stay cool this summer! As brutal as the heat may be, we are lucky enough to be near a lake and not *too* far from a beach! Just remember, drink lots of water, regularly change your HVAC Filters, and invest in cooling sheets!
If you are looking to purchase a rental property in the Gwinnett area and need some professional management assistance, contact us today and we will be glad to guide you through the process!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.